Diary of Jordan Day 21

By Chibuogwu Nnadiegbulam

At breakfast today, I met Kode, who volunteers for the Generations for Peace (I told you about Mark's visit yesterday), he was in Jordan for one of their programmes.

Kode is a Nigerian, based in Kaduna. He also has his own NGO back at home.

When I approached him, he first told me that he had seen me yesterday, also at breakfast.

I had seen him too, but maybe we just decided to mind our business.

Martin had his last class today. "Uber" Journalism. Highlighting the importance of being flexible as to "survive in a very aggressive world that is journalism".

After the class, he e-mailed his complete lecture to all of us.

We had a retired female FIFA referee as our guest. Kari Seitz, the most decorated and experienced international referee in U.S. Soccer history. She started as a referee in 1985 and retired in 2013.

Age limits for international referees have now been abolished, but Seitz, in a chat with AIPS Young Reporters, insisted that she has moved on. On October 1st, this year, she joined the referees department of FIFA as a Senior Manager. Overseeing FIFA Women's referee around the world.

The US referee officiated at four different World Cups (1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011), as well as three Olympic football tournaments (2004, 2008, and 2012).

She explained that as a referee, it is key to have an appreciation for every game. She also believes that one day, a female referee would officiate in a men's world cup final.

For one hour she answered our questions, revealing that there have been times she regretted a decision after a game. But she explained that those mistakes only made her better.

She also does not have a problem with the upcoming introduction of video technology. Again, she told us how gestures many a time, are enough communication on the pitch especially when one does not understand the language of the players.

Another thing is, while doing her job as a referee, she was also into marketing and advertising.

Just so you know, she was not done until she had spent some time convincing us to be referees.

After class, I started working on the article about past individual award winners so I could submit it before tomorrow. I skipped lunch and did not realize when it got to 5pm (3pm in Nigeria), because while I was at it, I was also expecting a call from my radio station, Today95.1 FM Port Harcourt.

The call did not come until I was already in a cab headed for Downtown, with Farah, Fati, Pablo and Christine.

I did strain my ears to get Emeka's question, the most important thing however was that they could hear me over there (at least Emeka did not indicate otherwise).

Downtown, I bought a few things and admired many others. When we returned, I had dinner and buried myself back into my article and was eventually done at 1am.
Share on Google Plus

About xxx

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.


Post a Comment